2.2 schizo win32 linkage

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 6 07:43:08 EST 2002

Once again I am being bitten by the choice of location for DLLs/pyds.

The standard location for win32 extensions is now lib/site-packages, but
win32 has problems when DLLs live apart from things they link to.

As example

I have tcl83.dll & tk83.dll on the path at c:\tcl\bin and c:\Python\DLLs
_tkinter.pyd is in the latter and presumably is built to work with
those.

_imagingtk.pyd lives with PIL under c:\python\lib\site-packages.

If I import _tkinter first I get the Python Dlls, if I import _imagingtk
first I get (by accident of environment) the ones from c:\tcl\bin.

This is a recipe for disaster and is certainly insecure.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of the developers to come up with a
scheme that allows us to put all binary extensions and dlls in one
place.

Previously when I asked that DLLs be the one and only place we were told
that DLLs is reserved for Python. Please decide otherwise, that attitude
seems unhelpful.
--
Robin Becker