Deeply embedded Python still alive?

trevor t_woerner at el-equip.com
Wed Apr 3 16:15:11 EST 2002

thank you Peter for that update.

i would like to point out that i've been successful at getting a very
minimal python-2.2 compiled, installed, and working on a 4MB zflinux board
using uClibc-0.9.10, busybox-0.60.2, and gcc-3.0.4. it isn't the fastest
thing around but it sure is neat! i'm still trying to decide if it will be
adequate (performance-wise) for our purposes.

the fileset clocks in at 3036KB which, when compressed to create an initrd,
becomes 1036KB. the python part of which takes up 2038KB (uncompressed). a
basic test script would be something like:

---
for num in range(10):
        print num,
print
---

when the system boots up running "python test.py" gives:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

unfortunately python doesn't make it very easy to build a minimal system, i
had to do a lot of shuffling around to get it to work. additionally i had
to play with the Makefile and edit some code too.

i would certainly appreciate if someone could point me to any docs that
would make building a minimal system easier. for instance, how can i
compile just a very basic python system without it going and trying to
compile the _tk module on me?

anyway if you would like instructions i'd be only too happy to post them,
but if nobody's interested then i'll save myself the effort.

best regards,
        trevor
--
remove underscore if you want to email me