Python Webpages

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 16:10:43 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1020102500.7281.python-list at python.org>, François Pinard wrote:
>> Code and HTML are separate things that belong in separate files
>> rather than muddled together.
>
> I presume this is debatable.  Up to now, I found easier having single files,
> for the case you are adjusting both aspects in a single editing session.

Hmm. In my experience they are different languages for different
purposes created and edited at different times by different people
with different tools.

> Yet, seeing the whole thing, both the designer and the programmer can leave
> the page in a consistent state, even if not fluent in the _other_ field.

Woah, *big* disagreement here. Not sure what kind of designers you are
used to, but in my experience they, and/or the tools they use are
incapabale of editing the HTML without destroying the code.

> My experience taught me that it is attractively simple to use a
> single file instead of two,

Heh. I would say deceptively attractive ;-)

> For better style, and a bit for better speed, the amount of Python code
> in HTML pages should stay small.

If smaller is better, why is smallest not best?

If you take a look at the following URL you can see examples of jonpy
template use:

  http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/wt-examples.html#templatecode

I must admit I have never yet seen a system which integrates HTML and
code in the same file without the file ending up an unreadable mess.

Cheers

Jon