slices: foo[i:j:k] => TypeError

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at mail.cz
Sat Apr 27 12:31:09 EDT 2002

> From: Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
> Subject: Re: slices: foo[i:j:k] => TypeError
> To: python-list at python.org
> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:34:46 GMT

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> > TypeError: sequence index must be integer
> >>>>

> > What's up? Is that a bug, or am I dumb?
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/lib/typesseq.html only
> mentions x:y slices; the x:y:z form is supported only by
> Numeric, I believe.  The underlying problem is that list &c
> still use the deprecated __getslice__ (or equivalent thereof)
> rather than accepting slice objects in __getitem__ (&c for
> set and del).

    Ok. What I don't understand then is why is extended slicing
    described among primaries in the language reference. And I'm not
    talking about a development version of the manual, I'm talking about
    the 2.1 version.
    What's the expected date for the builtin types to accept slice
    objects?

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
6:26PM up 12 days, 7:38, 10 users, load averages: 0.04, 0.04, 0.01