Stackless goes Limbo

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Apr 27 17:27:51 EDT 2002

> Quoth aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz):
> | In article <mailman.1019911009.16159.python-list at python.org>,
> | Laura Creighton  <lac at strakt.com> wrote:
> |>
> |> For those of you who can't live without a Limbo introduction written
> |> by a real C inventor:
> |>
> |> http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/papers/limbo.html
> |
> | Ugh.  I've gotten so corrupted by Python I can't even read well-written
> | C code.
>
> Tsk, that ain't C.  As I read on, I was surprised to find out that the
> sys->print notation doesn't imply sys is a pointer, rather that it's
> a module.  (Don't know why not sys.print, then.)  In some places it
> could remind you of Python - uses "self" more or less the same way,
> has garbage collection that apparently supports timely finalization,
> tuple unpacking assignment like x, y, z = t.  Also vaguely reminiscent
> of ML or something.
>
> The important thing to me is that the system looks like it would work
> well for modular function libraries, thanks mostly to the garbage
> collection storage model, and who knows, maybe with less function call
> overhead.  The thing I miss here is exceptions - nothing like that?
> Maybe I skimmed it too fast.
>
> I think I like the channels.  Not sure I like the Unicode strings.
> I wouldn't mind trying it out, if it ever escapes from Inferno.
>
> 	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com

Limbo has exceptions.  I am not sure what you mean by 'escapes from
Inferno' -- but check out the free download page at vitanuovo
http://cgi.www.vitanuova.com/cgi-bin/www.vitanuova.com/idown.pl

Quoting from it:
A Binary & Limited Source release of Inferno is now available for downloading
from Vita Nuova which contains:

        The Inferno operating system running in hosted mode for
        Windows 95/98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Solaris (sparc),
        Linux (x86), FreeBSD and Plan 9 which includes

<snip>

	Native and Inferno versions of the Limbo compiler for use inside
	and outside of Inferno and with which all of the applications and
	library modules can be compiled.

<snip>
So what you want may already have happened.

Laura Creighton