What has PEP 285 done to us?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 10 12:27:17 EDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:58:26 -0400
Arthur Siegel wrote:

> Cliff writes -
>
> >This was a direct attack on Guido's integrity, which was >uncalled for. You
> *assumed* much about what he meant
> >(perhaps he didn't make himself clear, but
> >that's hardly grounds for labeling him a dictator) and when he >clarified
> his position he became a liar.
>
> I didn't label him a dictator. As far I understand he has labeled himself
> such.  And the fact that he has is wonderful and honest - because he is and
> should say so, and there is general agreement that software of this nature
> cannot be designed by committee.

Well, I suppose this is true to some extent, much as Linus is arguably the
dicatator of Linux (note the recent VM change).  However, I read your post as
being a bit overly aggressive/resentful.

> And being dictator he has the unique ability to issue the LION PEP. The LIKE
> IT OR NOT PEP.
>
> If Guido is concerned  - lets say -  about any code breakage issues he might
> have missed lets limit discussion to that.

That sounds good.  Some people were undoubtedly misled by his PEP proposal into
thinking that he was neutral on the issue when clearly he wasn't (although you
could take the fact that he submitted the PEP as an indication that he was for
it and was merely looking for overwhelming reasons not to implement it).

> And thanks, Cliff, for your thread.

Thank you for being gracious.

Regards,

--