Problems building Python tkinter module on Solaris

Alex Jacques ajacques at morphics.com
Tue Apr 16 14:42:30 EDT 2002

I'm having a problem building the tkinter module on Solaris from source (all
other parts of Python build/run ok). It doesn't successfully link against
the tcl/tk libs, so from the "make" output I get:

gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.7-sun4u-2.2/_tkinter.o
build/temp.solaris-2.7-sun4u-2.2/tkappinit.o -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/local
/lib -ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0 -lX11 -o build/lib.solaris-2.7-sun4u-2.2/_tkinter.so
Text relocation remains                         referenced
    against symbol                  offset      in file
nameTable                           0x254
/usr/local/lib/libtk8.0.a(tkColor.o)
nameTable                           0x34
/usr/local/lib/libtk8.0.a(tkColor.o)
string.6                            0x274
/usr/local/lib/libtk8.0.a(tkColor.o)
valueTable                          0x184
/usr/local/lib/libtk8.0.a(tkColor.o)
[and 30+k more lines like this]

This was against the tcl/tk 8.0 in my /usr/local.
I read the Python FAQ 3.18 and other mentions of trying another version of
tcl/tk. Since I cannot remove the tcl/tk in my /usr/local (insufficent
privilege, and other folks use it), I built tcl/tk 8.3.4 in my /usr/freeware
tree (same place where I build/install Python).

My Python build "procedure" is

./configure --prefix=/usr/freeware
make

No luck: the make file still grabs the tcl/tk stuff from /usr/local.

How do I tell Make to use the headers and libs from /usr/freeware instead of
(or prior to) the stuff from /usr/local?

My environment:
Python 2.2.1 (never tried any others on Solaris)
Solaris 2.7
gcc 2.95.3
ld Solaris/ELF (3.0)