Mass Mailing help needed (Paul Rubin)

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org
Tue Apr 23 10:20:15 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1019553582.18769.python-list at python.org>,
	Graham Ashton wrote:
> With that approach you have to open one TCP connection per message. This
> is expensive, especially as your SMTP daemon should be doing all sorts
> of checks on your IP to see if it'll happily accept mail from you. Not

It's certainly possible to send multiple messages over a single SMTP
connection, and IP checks can be loosened by tweaking the SMTP
server's configuration.  For example, it would be easiest and most
secure to disable address checking on connections from localhost, and
then run your bulk mailing software on the same machine as the SMTP
server.  We've had to do this in order to make a 1700-member mailing
list run acceptably; without disabling the address checks, each
message to the list resulted in 1700 DNS lookups before the message
was even accepted.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
  "What do we say if the door is opened?"
  "'Hello'?"
    -- Richard Mace and Adric, in "The Visitation"