[Python-Dev] PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Apr 3 18:08:47 EST 2002

> From: Guido van Rossum [mailto:guido at python.org]
>
> The first round of discussion (on python-dev) brought up some
> contentious issues where people disagreed strongly with particular
> details proposed in the PEP, and I put those contentious issues at the
> top of the review list.  If you go to the latest version of the PEP on
> the web (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0285.html) you'll see that
> I've added some other issues that were brought up in the more recent
> discussion.

I have only one other issue - the PEP does not deal with the case of sending
data to an older version of Python (which I believe Alex Martelli brought
up, though I could be wrong).

Perhaps the section that states int(bool(x)) (resolved issues) should
include that the structure should be used for backwards-compatibility with
previous versions of Python.

Tim Delaney