Thanks and kudos to Python core team (was Re: Booleans, integer division,backwards compatibility; where is Python going?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Apr 11 22:41:18 EDT 2002

Aahz wrote:

> In article <wTit8.1381$F43.347 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>,
> Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> >
> >Personally I regard your frequent posts on this group as a significant
> >contribution to "the community" (maybe because I'd like my own to be
> >regarded in the same way), so I think you're being entirely too
> >self-denigrating.
>
> Besides, you never know when a bunch of Usenet posts might turn into a
> book contract.

Hah!  If I had time to write books, I'd definitely have time to
contribute to the Python core in some way.

Or, I could stop spending so bloody much time posting to Usenet... :-)

Thanks for the good thoughts Steve.  I guess we contribute some.

On the other hand, I think I could post ten messages a night and
still not contribute as much value as someone who manages to submit
a few patches a year to the core.  I really can't emphasize strongly
enough how much I think we should value those who actually write
or fix core code.

-Peter