porting python to embeded devices

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Apr 9 09:26:27 EDT 2002

akhar wrote:

> Has anyone ported Python to embedded devices? I heard of the deeply embedded
> python porject but the link is dead. What would it take to port python to an
> embedded platform (whether be it the mc68hc11 or PICs)?

I believe a better choice would be Lua, which as far as I understand
is intended for such things (although not sure about HC11 and PICS).

Python pretty much requires more horsepower, memory, and other
resources than either of those two platforms support.  It does
not have as a goal the ability to run on 16-bit platforms, and
generally needs on the order of 200K (that's a pretty rough guess)
for a real system.  I believe there have been attempts, with some
success, to cram it into smaller packages, but those efforts have
not come to fruition yet.  (It would be a subset of Python, for sure.)

-Peter