Selecting Polygons in an image

josegomez at gmx.net josegomez at gmx.net
Thu Apr 18 11:00:48 EDT 2002

Hi all,
    I am using an old in-house software package to load up HIPS files
(it's some sort of graphic formst that stores a header, plus a number
of different images or "frames". It is used in Remote Sensing and
medical imaging). The process is fairly simple: you load your image,
and then you select with them mouse a number of polygons of interest
(PoI). These can then be saved on to a file as a linked list of
coordinates. You then use these coordinates to extract information
from each frame (they are co-registered).

    The problem is that the program I am using is very old. I can't
find the source for it to compile it for Linux, and well, it's just
so annoying to use that a full re-write could be useful. I was
thinking about Python, as Numeric would be a terrific tool to use. I
had a look at scipy, which uses (among others!) some WxWindows
code to do plotting. However, I don't really know how flexible this is
to basically treat a canvas region and select points in it and all
that. It would be greatly useful to know of similar efforts before I
actually get down to do some work on thi!

    Cheers,
    Jose

--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student
Tel: +44 114 222 5582			Radar & Communications Group