Off topic C question

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Apr 10 18:52:25 EDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:59:58 +0200, Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote:

>phil hunt wrote:
>
>> I disagree. K&R has a mixture of clarity and concision that makes
>> it a delight to read.

That's true IMO also.
>> IMO, anyone for whom K&R isn't to their taste, probably won't make a
>> very good programmer anyway.

Why make that bet, though? There are always people that will surprise you
in their combinations of attributes (which makes the world more interesting ;-)

>The last thing which I am  bothered with: whether to become a good
>programmer or not. For example, I did never use a struct in C; that
>means my C code is more or less a big spaghetti one. I do not care as
>long as I get the correct result.
I take it you never write anything that isn't faster to reinvent
than to get the benefit of reusing in any way ;-)

>And I have really, really not the intention to waste my life as a
>professional programmer (there I think one should adapt to a better
>programming style). Though programming is sometimes interesting and
>indispensible.

If you are going to do much programming, I suspect you will ultimately
waste more of your life if you habitually write "big spaghetti" ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter