PEP 262 (database of installed Python packages)

Don Garrett garrett at bgb-consulting.com
Mon Apr 1 19:59:43 EST 2002

Andy Elvey wrote:

> Hi all.
>   I've spent a _frustrating_ amount of time with a _Ruby_ package that can't
> find various files.  Now, I knew about PEP 262, so I was thinking in general
> terms,  it would be *truly* wonderful if there were a (standard?) database
> of  *all*  installed packages (Python, Ruby, and whatever else) - maybe in a
> directory called "search".   In Linux, this could be "/search" ,  in Win32
> "C:\search".

  If this is an approach worth taking, then broaden it further. Take advantage
of the native install DBs that already exist. RPMs on Linux, the MS Installer
on Windows, and some cheap hack where there is nothing to build on.

  You are correct that this is a general problem, but I really think that a
solution should either be fully generic, or fully specific. IE: Use the system
wide facilities, or use a language specific tool.

--
Don Garrett                             http://www.bgb.cc/garrett/
BGB Consulting                                      garrett at bgb.cc