What has PEP 285 done to us?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 9 15:40:28 EDT 2002

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:48:31 +0200
Max M wrote:

> The whole bool thing as seen from my point of view happened something
> like this:

[snip]
> So when Guido wrote that the post was an overlong piece of FUD I more or
> less agreed. But I was rather surprised by his choice of words, and
> found it to be a rather rude brush-of. And I do believe that if I had
> made a lot of work making an argument like Lauras, that I would feel a
> bit bad about it being turned down that way.
>
> It was hinted that discussions had taken place on python-dev, but I
> don't subscribe to it so all I, and I guess most others, got was the
> short reply from Guido.
>
> So even though I agree that Guido didn't have to reply seperately to
> each of Lauras points, I believe that a longer softer and more humane
> reply would not have hurt in this case.
>
> Online you often need to state what you find obvious so others won't
> miss the crucial.
>
> So perhaps Guido need a little work with the people skills ;-) and the
> rest of us need to act properly, which includes not getting upset when
> others don't.

I agree and discussed this with Guido offlist and he admitted that perhaps he
was a bit too terse (mostly due to being busy and not wanting to respond to
every single post, especially when he felt that most posts were adequately
discussed by others).

Anyway, I'd just like to clarify that when I started this particular thread I
wasn't aiming my remarks at Guido, but the community in general. There were
several other people who were posting fairly inflammatory remarks on both
sides, some in particular being purely derogatory and not appropriate to the
discussion.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer