Discussion of Python midi library

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Apr 8 10:38:41 EDT 2002

gbreed at cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> Max M wrote:
>
>>The biggest challenge here is getting the internal representation of
>>the midi data right.
>
> You mean getting it to match the standard, or encapsulating it in the most
> convenient way?

Well the standard is a pretty dumb iff format, so encapsulating it the
most convenient way will be the key.

>>So generally I want to be able to load in the data into a Python
>>specific objects representation that can be easily modified and then
>>saved back out as a new midi file.
>
> I'd like it to be generic enough that the code could be re-used to
> transform live MIDI streams as well.

I believe that the parts of the project could be used for something like
that.

> I think a few of us are interested, but we may not have the time to
> contribute much.  I did get half way through converting my old C++ code,
> but I don't think it's really good enough for anybody else to work with.
> Unless you want an example of something that can read and write the files
> successfully.

I expect to do all the work myself. At least until it is usefull enough
that other might pick it up for their own use.

>>I allready have some code and some ideas.

> Where

I will do a writeup of my ideas, put the code online and get back to you.

regards Max M