Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Apr 10 20:36:32 EDT 2002

[Paul Boddie]
> Well, I was excited a few years ago when iterators appeared in C++, so
> I suppose I should be even more excited now. :-) However, it's
> arguably a bigger deal for the implementer of the iterator (or
> generator, even) than the "users" or "clients" of them.

> That's part of my original argument, though. I get the impression that
> some packages not only require Python 2.2 because they use new,
> standard features, but also so that the author can drag users further
> into the future by making use of not-yet-standard features, if only
> for their own entertainment.

You users slay me <wink>.  For me, "my own entertainment" means I can use
such "developer features" to get my work implementing features for you to
use done quicker, have it work better, suffer fewer bugs, and give you more
capabilities in your code than you had before.  If you're ever tempted to
think that work devoted to improving language and library implementors'
productivity is wasted on users, you should try not watering your garden
during a drought too <wink>.

even-elves-need-to-eat-ly y'rs  - tim