Access violation trying to run Python over Win NT network.

Patrick rpm1deletethis at frontiernet.net
Mon Apr 29 23:23:03 EDT 2002

Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:17:55 -0400
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to run Python from a network drive.  On most machines it
works,
> > but on some machines it generates an access violation about 60% of the
time,
> > (just by typing 'python' with no arguments).  If I install Python
locally it
> > runs fine on all the machines.
>
> Even on the machines where you get the access violations it works about
40% of
> the time?

Yes.

In fact, I can run python over the network fine on my machine, then take my
harddrive,
 (it's removable), to a different machine, and it won't run over the
network, (most of
the time).

> > I would really appreciate any help.  I've been trying to get the people
at
> > work to use Python and they have finally agreed to give it a try, but
they
> > don't want to install it on everyones machines, so we have to run from a
> > network drive.
>
> I've done this before without too many problems.  The usual problem was
the
> generation of .pyc files.  If the user doesn't have write permission on
the
> file/directory then it fails.  It seems odd that you would get access
> violations simply by typing "python", but perhaps when python runs it
tries to
> byte-compile some modules and fails (very unsure of this, although I'm
guessing
> there are platform modules that might need to be compiled at startup).
You
> might try compiling all of the modules yourself and see if that fixes it.

I'll check this, but the fact that I can log on some machines as myself and
it always
runs, and on other machines it rarely runs.

One other thing I forgot to mention, it seems to always work on Windows 2000
drives.

Thanks,
Patrick