Help: Python for a big commercial project?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Apr 10 20:41:19 EDT 2002

Cliff Wells wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:24:59 +0200 Cereal Muesli wrote:
>
> > - First of all; do you think that Python is suitable for this
> >   kind of "serious, big" project?
>
> Absolutely.  I would not hesitate to use Python for *any* project.  At a prior
> job, I used Python develop the primary application for a contract worth over $3
> million a year.  In my current position, I am moving our applications from C to
> Python and these applications will be responsible for monitoring and
> controlling security systems in some high-risk/top-secret facilities (overseas
> military installations, government research facilities, etc - if I told you
> more, well, you know the line ;)

Complete, total, and 100% redundant agreement with Cliff on all the issues
he mentions here.  My company is writing applications from scratch in Python
to be used to monitor and control communication systems in similar facilities
(would be fun someday to find that our stuff went into some of the same places)
and for industrial use and if I told you more I'd have to ask Cliff to get one
of the people he knows in his line of business to kill you...

Hey Cliff, did Bruno call you back yet?  I'm still kicking myself for that
accidental disclosure on the XP mailing list.  It's going to take so long for
him to track them all down through their email addresses ...  :-(

-Peter