Cannot find modules on SuSE Linux 7.3

Colin Pinkney colin.pinkney at orange.removethis.net
Mon Apr 1 18:32:39 EST 2002

Hi,

Just installed SuSE 7.3 but there is something wrong with the python
installation. Anything that uses python falls over with errors like this
(this came from xrpm):

<<
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/xrpm/xrpm.py", line 33, in ?
     import os
ImportError: No module named os

I have $PYTHONHOME set to /usr/lib/python which is a link to
/usr/lib/python2.1 and I've tried setting it to /usr/lib/python2.1 too.

If I run python outside this directory and type something like 'import
os' it can't find any module. If I run python in /usr/lib/python2.1 then
it still starts up with:

<<
Python 2.1.1 (#1, Sep 24 2001, 05:28:47)
[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)] on linux2

But then typing 'import site' or importing any other basic module seems
to succeed.

Can anyone see what is wrong?

TIA

--