Off topic C question

Anthony_Barker anthony_barker at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 00:19:59 EDT 2002

my 2 cents...

Look at the K&R book and see if you like it and then buy it or
the Harbison and Steele as your main reference book

Then get another dumbies style book from the Library. I recommend
"Learn c programming in Linux in 21 days" from SAMS..

What this book does is give you the discipline to plow through the
topic in 3 weeks (especially usefull if you are working). Also their
descriptions and diagrams of pointers are more intuitive."C
Programming: A Modern Approach" - a textbook also has good
explanations of pointers...

If you have some programming background, pointers (pointers to
pointers to structs etc), defensive programming (due to pointers) and
perhaps data structures are the initial challenging things in c.

Once you are done with those and if you still want more I recommend
"Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden. It is one of the most
entertaining programming books I have read - his love of c programming
shines through every word.

I also just picked up a used copy of "Advanced Linux Programming"
which is available as a pdf at codesourcery. There are several good
references to the standard c library available on the web.

Anthony

 -o)
 /\\
_\_V   Anthony Barker