For SuSE Linux users who want Zope

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 8 01:54:08 EDT 2002

This message is for any SuSE Linux users (or perphaps other distros that
bundle Zope) that are having trouble getting Zope running.  I am running
SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro.  I installed Zope and Python using the Yast2
installation program.  Although the Linux install went beautifully, when I
tried to get Zope running I got absolutely nowhere (permission problems,
directory path problems, configuration problems, etc).  If you are not
having trouble getting Zope running disregard this message, it doesn't apply
to you.

If you installed Zope, remove it.  If you have trouble uninstalling Zope
under SuSE as I did, see the end of this message for help on that:

Here's what works well:

Get a copy of "Zope: Web Application Construction Kit". (It's a great book,
Amazon has it).  Follow the instructions on pp. 20 and 21 with the following
important fix:

Do NOT do:

./install -u nobody -g nobody

as the book tells you to on p. 21.  Under SuSE 7.3 there is no group called
'nobody', instead use:

./install -u nobody -g nogroup

If you accidentally use the book's version, you'll see a ton of change
group/owner error messages since 'nobody' is not a valid group name.  You'll
have to kill the entire install directory and re-unpack the tarball.  (If
you just rerun "./install" there will be lots of files left with the bad
group setting, that's why you have to kill the tainted directory first).

That's it!  Everything goes very easily from then on.  Of course, YMMV.
Hope this helps someone.

thx

(These messages are copied from another thread I started on
alt.os.linux.suse regarding trouble uninstalling Zope.

I'm trying to uninstall Zope from my SuSE 7.3 Pro Linux box.  I use Yast2's
Install/Remove Software module.  I search for Zope and it shows it as
installed (with 'i' next to it).  I then select it for uninstall (now has an
'X' next to it).  It asks for CD4, says its uninstalling, and then rebuilds
the system configuration.  I exit Yast2, reenter the Install/Remove Software
module and search for Zope.  It still shows Zope as being installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind, turns out that; zope-mysql*, zope-doc*, and zope-doc-pdf* were
dependent on it.  Apparently Yast2 in 7.3 doesn't warn you and just ignores
the request.  I had to go to an xterm window, and then I typed "rpm -e
zope".  It told me the names of the dependent packages, so I removed each
one of those too using the "rpm -e" command, and then reissued the "rpm -e
zope" command which executed fine.

Note, I discovered that you do not use the version info following the
package name with the "rpm" command, just the package name.  For example, to
remove "zope-doc-2.4.1-18" I typed "rpm -e zope" _not_ "rpm -e
zope-doc.2.4.1-18".  Be very careful not to ruin your system by uninstalling
anything important, rpm does _not_ issue a confirmation question before
eliminating a package.  (At least on SuSE 7.3 Pro)

<end>