What has PEP 285 done to us?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Tue Apr 9 07:23:56 EDT 2002

In article <3CB2CB16.8080103 at geneva-link.ch>, Boris Borcic wrote:
[snip]
>(b) Laura made a lengthy point, overlooking the improvable while clear
>to the language designer's POV, that it very much boiled down to : "I've
>stacked my didactics of truth values in Python on the name of None, and
>the PEP makes me feel I've been telling lies".

That's not how I saw it. The main point I extracted was: Until now,
the Pythonic "truth values" have been "something" and "nothing" (i.e.
the empty list, zero, None, etc.) With the bool type this is still
true, but we get a type which will give newbies the impression that it
isn't.

>python >>> filter(lambda W : W not in "ILLITERATE","BULLSHIT")

Hm. What programming language is this supposed to be?

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org