Easter Eggs

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Apr 10 20:27:05 EDT 2002

Robin Becker wrote:

> >"import this", IIRC.
> Am I the only person that finds the whole concept of Easter eggs a slap
> in the face from the developers.

You're probably not the only one, but I do not share that view at all.

> When I find this rubbish in M$oft's expensive software I feel outraged.

I'm outraged by their unreliable software, expensive or with Easter
eggs or otherwise.  I have absolutely no difficulties with the idea
that the developers, in taking pride in their creation, implemented
an Easter egg.  (If it contributed to the unreliability that would
be a different story.)

> Is it better because it's open source? I think not. On the other hand
> perhaps the Python development process is itself a joke. When one
> questions the idiots in charge one ends in the kill file. No one expects
> the Spanish inquisition, but perhaps if rather trite philosophy is
> hidden in python and we have geniuses for developers, what else may be
> embedded therein?

In the case of Python's "import this", I was *very* pleased to find
it there, as it makes it very convenient to pull up that list
without having to resort to a web browser (or even have one handy).

What, you mean you don't refer to that list frequently?  Why not?

;-)

-Peter