PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 07:24:22 EST 2002

In article <ualr7hmlhkemab at news.supernews.com>, John Roth
<johnroth at ameritech.net> writes
>Consequently, I think of it (0 and  1 as false and true) as a
>hack carried over from C and similar languages.
>
>John Roth
C is a very successful language. I don't think of its conditional
testing as a hack, but then I'm an engineer. What works is good and
Python's current conditional testing seems to work very well and
moreover efficiently in many cases of interest.

Forcing all these into the (true, false) set using a Boole (if we're
going to honour the man let's spell him right) variable seems to put too
much emphasis on formalism. It also ignores the eminent sense of not
fixing unbroken things and not adding yet another current to the Python
type cake.
-I wish I had Kalmanian filter types-ly yrs-
Robin Becker