relational database?

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Apr 2 20:14:44 EST 2002

* Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.net> [2002-04-02 06:44 -0800]:
> "Ruediger Maehl" <ruediger.maehl_nospam at web.de> wrote:
> > SAPDB, a full featured database for free at www.sapdb.org
> > with Python interface.
>
> I'm not sure I would second that recommendation unless SAP DB has
> changed dramatically over the past few weeks.

As far as I've seen, it's quite a complex piece of software. And the
code itself, the organisation of the code and the build process look
like they've come from a different universe. I'd have to think hard to
invent something similarly confusing.

> On UNIX systems, PostgreSQL and pgPySQL are possibly as easy,

pyPgSQL is also quite easy to set up on Windows. If it fails, complain
to me. To run PostgreSQL itself on Windows, you'll need to download
Cygwin and it's PostgreSQL package, which will work for development
purposes, but the performance isn't comparable to running it on a real
Unix. Unfortunately, the PostgreSQL folks aren't interested to invest
the time for a native win32 port. But I'm sure if somebody is really
interested and funds such a port, it will be done.

> Another interesting issue that one might want to consider later on is
> Unicode support with database systems and Python DB-API modules.

Interesting indeed.

> Some
> modules don't seem to support Unicode (pyPgSQL, for example), whereas
> others apparently rely on the database system for such support to
> actually function (eg. mxODBC).

Last time I checked, mxODBC was the only one to support Unicode at all.
The reason I checked was that I want to add Unicode support to pyPgSQL.
A draft patch is available at pyPgSQL's Sourceforge patch manager.

I'll try to revive that effort soon on the pyPgSQL mailing list, as I
need some input for that.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 7.3 °C      Wind: 2.9 m/s