Something or Nothing^H^H^H^H^H^H^HEmpty

Boris Borcic borcis at geneva-link.ch
Thu Apr 11 08:33:32 EDT 2002

Anders J. Munch wrote:

>>>[] and {} are objects,
>>>
>>Yes, as are None and 0.
>>

> The important part is that they are _mutable_ objects.  The identity of each
> instance is by itself important information.

But we all know that at the price of lots of gc, mutable object behavior
can be closely mimicked with an implementation boiling down to immutable
state objects constructed on the fly.

IOW you forgot the empty sequence () and the empty string "".

> As for intuitive ways of explaining concepts: Examples, examples, examples.
> Accept no substitute.

Learning from counter-examples requires appropriate algorithms, but if
algorithms are no substitute to a pure examples diet, what substitutes
will you provide to examples that are in effect counter-examples, or do
you suggest we process them without algorithms ?

Cheers, Boris
--
"Art is a trigram"