GUI programming

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at i_triple_e.org
Mon Apr 1 14:04:16 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1017681605.21669.python-list at python.org>, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 04:09:12 +0200
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>
>> * Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> [2002-03-31 12:31
> +0100]:

> (and this
>> >
>> > Nonsense.
>> >
>> > 1. Download
>> > 2. Run Setup
>> > 3. Use it.
>> >
>> > The whole operation takes less than 5 minutes.
>> >
>> > Well - it does on Windows, anyway.
>>
>> Obviously you've never installed glib, gtk, wxGTK then wxPython all in
>> /usr/local on a Unix system. Not speaking all the dependencies if
> wxPython if
>> you really want to run all of the demos. This can easily take hours.
>>

> wxPython is remarkably easy to install on both Windows and RPM-based Linux
> systems.  I haven't tried it on anything else, but I doubt even a
> tarball-based install would be very difficult.
>
> Building from CVS would be more difficult, but that's rarely necessary.

Try getting a running wxPython installation on SGI Irix or SUN Solaris for
instance.

Secondly, why would building from CVS be more difficult than building from
tarballs?  The tarballs also contain oodles of source that have to be
configured, built and installed.  If you haven't actually done this, you
should give it a try before actually commenting. :)