Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Apr 7 11:10:39 EDT 2002

<posted & mailed>

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> there (note that python-dev no longer has a closed-subscription policy).

How so?  One visits:

enters email and passwords, hits subscribe, and gets this message:

"""
Python-Dev Subscription results

Subscription was deferred because subscriptions to Python-Dev require
administrator approval.  Your request has been forwarded to the list
administrator.  You will receive email informing you of the moderator's
decision when they get to your request.
"""

"Requires administrator approval" may not be "a closed-subscription
policy" but it sure looks quite close.  Besides, the subscription does not
actually start (at least it doesn't seem to have -- I'm trying to follow
the thread by periodically hitting refresh on :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-April/date.html
[quite unwieldy, no facilities to reply, etc] and I've noticed I cannot rely
on everybody CC'ing me when they post...).

If this is meant to be an open-subscription mailing list, I would suggest
this arrangement be changed.

Alex