Steve Holden wrote: [was Python-list digest, Vol 1 #10572 - 14 msgs]

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 26 09:27:20 EDT 2002

Steve had written -

>Many c.l.py readers are *not* "professional programmers", but
>chemists, mathematicians, biophysicists, and a host of others
>for whom programming is a means to an end. Many others are,
>like me, professional programmers who attempt to
>increase Python's popularity by assisting those less familiar with
>programming concepts.

I think this is honestly (and revealingly) worded, represents
increasing the most consistent thread of your posts, and
is its own kind of problem.

The attempt to "increase Python's popularity by" becomes too
transparent. Better a side effect, than a motive. Or play it
smart enough that it seems as such.

Reprimanding a long-time Python contributor for the wording
of a post that you fear will spread FUD was strange enough.
But there a consistency.

Steve - I bought and enjoy your book and do consider it a
service to the non-professional community.

But the cheerleading and defensiveness on cl py has
in IMO gone a bit over the top, and is a service to
no one.

Accept, this is Usenet.  I can say dugapoopoo if I want.

Art