relational database?

Ruediger Maehl ruediger.maehl_nospam at web.de
Wed Apr 3 01:44:55 EST 2002

"Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:23891c90.0204020644.3ea4bc40 at posting.google.com...
> I'm not sure I would second that recommendation unless SAP DB has
> changed dramatically over the past few weeks. I found that the
> installation was quite a bit more complicated than, for example, MySQL
> (at least on Windows) and upon issuing the arcane commands for

Yes, you need to get used to the commands. But by now there is a
database manager (client/server, web) available, which supports
you in daily routine.

> restarting database instances, the software would complain that the
> instances needed restarting, which was hardly very reassuring with
> respect to either the stability or the usability of the software.

Sorry, but I don't understand this statement.

> As for the Python DB-API module, I couldn't get any version of it I
> found to work with the database system. Admittedly, my objective was
> to get a JDBC connection up and running, which was eventually
> successful, and I therefore cut that particular side-investigation
> short.

I had no problem to use the native interface.

> Despite it's often-cited shortcomings, MySQL and the MySQLdb module
> are quite easy to set up. On UNIX systems, PostgreSQL and pgPySQL are
> possibly as easy, although one doesn't need to suffer a manual with
> PostgreSQL which consists of a single >1.5MB HTML file. I've also had
> success with Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere and mxODBC (without a
> driver manager), but that software is commercially licensed and may
> not even be available any more.

Compared to SAPDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL are well developed
over a long time and there are more tools available. IIRC, MySQL has had
a 2GB limit for the size of a table and was not free and PostgreSQL
needed some Cygwin thing to run (on W*ndows). That were the reasons
for me to use SAPDB and it is in production for 14 months now without
any problems. Anyway, YMMV.

> [snip]
>
> Paul

Rüdiger