Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue Apr 30 02:03:17 EDT 2002

>I have a lot of experience in ANSI C/C++, I want to learn a new
>language and which it can help me in the work.
>I just want to clear which(python or perl) is more comfort for me?

I've been using (and abusing) perl for many years, and I'm still not
comfortable using it. Not only that, but because there are so many ways of
expressing things in perl, I often can't understand my own code 6 months
down the track (at least, at first glance). I'd go as far as to say the
sendmail.cf language is simpler, easier to learn and maintain than perl.

Python on the other hand is a lot of fun. Good designs tend to happen
more often and with less effort, and the language doesn't get in the way
(it works the way you expect it to work).

And, in fact, Python has changed (for the better) the way I code C - I
want the dynamicism of Python, so I spend more time coding infrastructure,
which pays off when the inevitable "can you make it do this" comes along.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/