Finding scripts

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Apr 24 14:07:03 EDT 2002

In article <af916b72.0204240711.41f125f8 at posting.google.com>,
Tom Hendricks <tchendricks at lucent.com> wrote:
>I am a newbie to the python world.  I am in the process of configuring
>about 300 switches with basically the same information except for IP
>address and VLAN information.
>
>It was suggested to me that I download python and use expect to create
>a script to perform this work more efficiently and faster.  This is
>great in theory if you have programmed before but I think it would be
>faster to manually configure the switches than to learn python at this
>time, short-term thinking, of course.
>
>Can someone direct me to where I might find scripts for configuring
>Enterasys Smartswitch 6000, Smartswitch 2200, and Matrix E7's?
>
>In the meantime, back to my Learn to Program using Python: Lesson 1,
>Getting Started by Richard Baldwin.
			.
			.
			.
It certainly is technically possible to achieve your
goal by working with Python and Expect.

I think someone did you a disservice, though, in sug-
gesting that combination.  More appropriate is simply
to work entirely in Expect <URL: http://
www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-sc1/?n-l-4112 >.
As fond as I am of Python, I think you've considerably
magnified your burden by attempting to put it in the
role you describe.

It is very unlikely that you will "find scripts for
configuring Enterasys ..." and the others.

Perhaps you would be best off to buy a tiny amount of
consulting--maybe a couple of hundred dollars--from
someone who can give you a few "starter" scripts spe-
cific to your equipment.

Thousands of Lucent employees have experience with
Expect (among other languages and tools).  Are none
of them in a position to help you?
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net