Macintosh Development

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Mon Apr 15 02:59:40 EDT 2002

In article <3CBA5EDB.C60BF821 at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>,
 Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> MacPython has a facility for creating an "applet" from
> a Python script. This is a small Macintosh application
> that can be launched from the Finder. You can drop
> files on the applet, and their pathnames will appear in
> sys.argv.

Which is great for your own use -- it's what I do with Python programs
that I'm going to run with much frequency.  But it's not so good for
distributing programs to others, unless you feel comfortable telling
them to install the appropriate version of Python before using your
applet.

MacPython does also have a facility for creating a standalone
application, but these are much bigger (several megabytes?) and I
haven't been able to get this to work.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/