Comment on draft PEP for deprecating six builtins

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Apr 29 15:03:35 EDT 2002

> > Why the hostility?
>
> I don't interpret this strongly worded and slightly sarcastic critique

> to be hostile.
>
> If you call this hostile I don't think you know the meaning of the
word.

Decide for yourself:

1 a : of or relating to an enemy <hostile fire>
  b : marked by malevolence <a hostile act>
  c : openly opposed or resisting <a hostile critic>
      <hostile to new ideas>
  d : not hospitable <a hostile environment>

> And I don't see how his offering a strong opinion stiffles discussion.

I've observed in the past that people don't like to be attacked
personally.

> I happen to agree with just about everything he said.
>
> This PEP is angles in the clouds stuff.  A lot of work for everybody
and
> virtually zero practical benefit to anybody.

Then Lumberjack should attack the PEP, not the author e.g.

   "How about you and other PEP writers take some responsibilities
   for your fantasies for once? You up to helping thousands rewrite
   their code? I thought no"

Seems like an attack on PEP writers in general, not on the PEP itself.

Cheers,
Brian