ACCEPTED: PEP 285

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Thu Apr 4 02:25:22 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
>     7) Should the name 'bool' be changed?
>
>     => No.

Too bad. I believe his name was spelled Boole, not Bool or Boolean. You had
a chance to properly honor him and didn't for some reason. Why drop a
single letter of a dead man's name? This seems to be a pettiness that has
gained universal appeal, alas. Shades of "creat" versus "create". Maybe
there is some conspiracy against the letter "e" on the end of words?

[ ... ]
> Compatibility
>
>     Because of backwards compatibility, the bool type lacks many
>     properties that some would like to see.  For example, arithmetic
>     operations with one or two bool arguments is allowed, treating
>     False as 0 and True as 1.  Also, a bool may be used as a sequence

Just to be clear, what kind of object will this be when it is a key in a
dictionary? If I have:

x = { 1: "I win", 0: "I lose" }

and do

x[2 == 1] = "Bummer"

what does the dictionary contain? Two entries or three? Is a bool value
promoted to an int when used as a dictionary key?