Why won't this POST

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Tue Apr 23 10:12:38 EDT 2002

On 22 Apr 2002, Sunit Joshi wrote:

> Hello
> I'm trying to post data to IIS5.0 but keep getting error message about
> "host not found". The python script is in /cgi-bin/ProcessInput.py. I

> socket.error: host not found
[snip]
> req = HTTP('localhost/eubix')
> req.putrequest('POST' ,'/cgi-bin/ProcessInput.py') #Here's where it
> stalls

'localhost/eubix' isn't a valid hostname, hence the error. When you
construct the HTTP object you must pass in just the host name or IP
address (and port if you need to override the default):

req = HTTP('localhost')

Then in putrequest you need to specify the URL to get to the object on the
server that you're interested in. I'm not sure how you have things set up,
but I'm guessing it'll be either

req.putrequest('POST', '/cgi-bin/ProcessInput.py') # Like you have it

or

req.putrequest('POST', '/eubix/cgi-bin/ProcessInput.py')

Also note that this whole thing might be easier if you use urllib instead.

-Dave