[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Apr 2 17:40:31 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I don't see the introduction of the bool type as painful at all.
>
> I find getting it accepted painful though. :-(

I think of it in very simple terms:  True and False are just
self-documenting values that indicate that you're talking about a
Boolean value rather than something else -- and enabling the ability to
write self-documenting code is always good.  For backward compatibility
concerns, bool must be implemented as (effectively) a subclass of int.
Very little code will break with the introduction of the PEP.  That is
all.

/  \ Nationalism is an infantile sickness.
\__/ Albert Einstein
    Alcyone Systems' Daily Planet / http://www.alcyone.com/planet.html
 A new, virtual planet, every day.