convince me

geek geek+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:43:17 EDT 2002

Then <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> spoke up and said:
> I did not follow the comments in the following but the post surprised me
> that one finds C more easily to grasp than Python, especially when he is
> a novice in programming.

C is extremely easy to program in... as long as you can limit yourself
to "normal" C datatypes.  C starts getting fugly when you try to use
3rd party libraries, each of which has a different convention for The
One True Way to use some kind of extension type.  Dictionaries are
non-trivial to do.  Even something as simple as a list gets
complicated pretty quick (singly linked?  doubly linked?  accessor
functions?  macros?).  The whole point of higher level languages
(which C is definitely NOT) is that you can think about advanced data
type rather than about the primitives underneath them.