A Free Idea: Search Engine for Webpages (+ Virtual Bookmarks)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 26 08:00:14 EDT 2002

Dmitri I GOULIAEV wrote:

> And I would like to point out that there is another possible use
> of such a plug-in or a server (even in user-space). This can not
> only generate additional list of links (cached or not, i.e. generated
> each time that page is requested), but it can generate additional
> anchors inside the page
>
> Imagine, ANY place inside the www-page can be bookmarked. Not so bad.
>
> I'm not sure if this technology is already used somewhere or not,
> but it seems enough interesting to me. It may be seen as "virtual bookmarker".

Sad to say, Microsoft already invented this and created quite a controversy
in the process...  they were called Smart Tags:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001-06-08-microsoft-smart-tags.htm

Maybe somebody thought of using it for Serge's useful search concept
instead of just a bunch of marketing crap.

-Peter