How are you using Python?

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 04:35:18 EDT 2002

Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote:
> I had installed SuSE 8.0
> within 20 minutes. My collegues couldn't believe it.
>
> Eventually I found even a driver for my winmodem (this post is a testimony).

Ahh sounds great.  Do you think I could install SuSE 8.0 in my 3 year
old Compaq Armada notebook?  The driver problems used to scare me off.
 I once installed a linux version allright but never got the sound
working.  SuSE 8.0 has a recent python version?

> I am not sure why, but I begun to hate the fixed
> indentation style in Python. Emacs too indents my Scheme (Bigloo) code
> as it wants, but I do not hate it.

Your Emacs' indenting behaviour is surely configurable!  I use vim
myself so I do not know too much about emacs but I did see lisp-like
configuration scripts for it and you should be able to have it indent
your code anyway you'd like to!

> And another issue which stroke me
> (but I am sure I should have read the manual in more detail): I often
> changed my code and believed that the Python code runs with the new
> values in the variables but after not getting the required calculation
> results, I saw that Python used old ones (no clue where they are
> sitting: in memory or what?).

Without code it is impossible to guess what your problem here is but
maybe there is one thing I can suggest: Do you always delete all the
'compiled' python bytecode files in your working directory?
I have a script p.bat for Windows for running new versions of code
doing:
del *.pyc
python %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

In linux that script would be something like:
rm *\.pyc
python $*
you get the idea &:-)
Maybe linux needs 'rm .*\.pyc' just test it first in a test directory
!:-*

'''
A university faculty is 500 egotists with a common parking problem.
'''