performance of pickling & large lists :-(

Andreas Leitgeb Andreas.Leitgeb at siemens.at
Wed Aug 7 10:22:30 EDT 2002

Martin v. Loewis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> writes:
>> Python's "pickle" will use approximately one dict entry per object, of
>> the form ...

>   { id(obj) : (last_position, obj) }
> I think the majority of pickle's memory consumption comes from the
> tuples.

Thanks to all for explaining.
I had seen the optional dictionary-argument for the pickler, but had no
 idea what that was good for ...    Now I know.

And thanks to Jeff for the "dummy-dictionary" for those cases
where there are no object-identities worth preserving :-)

--
Newsflash: Sproingy made it to the ground !
  read more ... <http://avl.enemy.org/sproingy/>