Whitelist/verification spam filters

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Aug 27 21:28:06 EDT 2002

Fernando Pereira wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Gerhard wrote:
>> Hoops? Takes me at most one second.
> I would guess it's a minute or more.

You get the TMDA answer that you have to hit reply (or enter some key
combination in a /real/ MUA ;-) and just do that. The person you sent
mail to will then be able to see the original mail you sent to
him/her. I don't see how this will take a minute or two of your time.

> Add all those minutes over the legitimate new email senders over a
> period of time, and you are talking about a significant burden shift
> from the recipient to the community of legitimate senders.

There is a burden shift, but I'd not call it significant. If you want
to blame somebody, blame the SMTP protocol that makes spamming
possible and cost-effective in the first place. Sooner or later, it
should be replaced by a solution that changes the economics for
spammers. Some people think about possible solutions, among which
im2000 could become one (I'm subscribed to the mailing list):

http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html
http://wiki.haribeau.de/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LawrenceIM2000

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930