Graham's spam filter

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Fri Aug 23 00:27:00 EDT 2002

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at acm.org> writes:
> Killer question: Do you get non-spam where the content is all
> base64-encoded?

Yes, I sometimes get S/MIME encrypted messages, or multimedia files.

> The only mail _I_ get like that is when my brother is emailing out
> baby pictures, and guess what?  The presence of headers that have
> Dave's "fingerprints" all over them is enough to indicate that it's
> "good mail," from him.

I hang out on photography newsgroups and sometimes strangers send me
pictures.  I might not have exactly asked for those pictures, but
they're certainly not spam.  On the other hand, spammers may also
start sending advertisements out as images, and it will be very hard
to filter those.

Fortunately, this is all pretty rare, at least so far.