how to use PyRun_String

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Thu Aug 1 13:51:06 EDT 2002

vb wrote:

> after a PyRun_SimpleString("s='a string'");
> how can I get s as a C PyObject*?
> I tried PyRun_String but I dont know what to pass in last 2
> params.(globals & locals dictionary) so it returns NULL.
>
> Thanks.

The script you are running sets a global variable.  You want to get
the globals dictionary and extract that variable from it.

Something like the following should work:

/* ============================================================= */
    PyObject * module;
    PyObject * dict;
    PyObject * obj;
    long lval;

    PyRun_SimpleString("obj = 3 * 5");
    module = PyImport_AddModule("__main__");
    dict = PyModule_GetDict(module);
    obj = PyMapping_GetItemString(dict, "obj");
    if (obj != NULL)
    {
        lval = PyInt_AsLong(obj);
        printf("obj: %d\n", lval);
    }
    else
    {
        printf("Object not found\n");
    } /* if */
/* ============================================================= */

But, I don't know whether this is the "approved" way to do it.  I
had to look at the implementation of PyRun_SimpleStringFlags() in
Python-2.2.1/Python/pythonrun.c in order to learn how to "peek
inside the machine" and get the global dictionary.  Can someone
comment on whether this is an appropriate way to do that?

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman
dkuhlman at rexx.com