Whitelist/verification spam filters

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 18:53:39 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 15:16, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Perhaps it's just me, but I find it annoying having to go through hoops
> to contact someone for legitimate purposes.  It's the same kind of
> thing, although more so, as people using mangled email addresses on
> Usenet.  The most infuriating case is when someone asks for help on
> Usenet; if I reply by email and the mail bounces because they mangled
> their address, I'm not likely to fix it and resend -- it's their loss.
>
> Forcing people to jump through hoops for you just strikes me as terribly
> rude.

Indeed.  I find this similar to websites which require me to get a login from
them to do anything.  In particular I had to jump through this hoop to submit
a bug on a piece of software.  Took me a total of 5 minutes to get the
*ability* to submit the bug (submit request for id, wait for email with id,
login with id, then learn the site).  I am sure most people here know that
getting users to submit bugs is hard enough, but making them go out of their
way to do so is virtually guaranteeing some bugs will never be reported.  In
my case I was being paid and *had* to submit the bug otherwise I would have
let it go.