Tix/Tk Module frustrations HELP!

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Wed Aug 21 17:31:26 EDT 2002

Quoting Jonathan S (python_hacker at example.com):
> I try to make a root Tix window, yet to no avail:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 212, in __init__
>   self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
> _tkinter.TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix":
> /usr/lib/libtix.so: undefined symbol: XLowerWindow
> >>>

> libtix.so is where it should be in /usr/lib, and the version (so far as I
> can tell) is 4.1.8.3

This error message is different from what I got, but also very
similar.

Note the line:
> _tkinter.TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix":

This isn't just an abbreviation on the part of the linker. Somewhere
inside Tix or the python wrappers, code is actually looking for
/usr/lib/libtix -- NOT /usr/lib/libtix.so.

To fix this problem (after almost a day of being very pissed off and
wondering what the hell was wrong with my linker), I had to put a
symlink in /usr/lib:

  ln -s /usr/lib/libtix.so /usr/lib/libtix

Everything worked like a charm after that, but it has left me a little
sour on using Tix.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff @ gerrietts.net> "Many a man's reputation would not