Database experiences in Python: Good or Bad?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Aug 6 04:04:29 EDT 2002

greenbeard400 at yahoo.com (Jeff Schedin) wrote:
> It seems that the Open Source databases are fine in this area:
> PostgreSQL, MySQL etc  but what about DB2/Oracle/MSSQL?

I used to do a lot of Oracle work in Python using one of the early
versions of the Oracle interface (oracledb module).  Getting it built
was a bit of a pain, but that was mostly because of the brain-dead
libraries Oracle distributes (they contain circular references, and thus
require multiple linking passes).  Operationally, the only real
annoyance I found was that (IIRC), empty strings in the database would
come back as None instead of as "" (I consider this a bug).

More recently, I've done some work with the newer DCOracle2 version of
the module.  Functionally, they are almost identical, and getting it
built was much simplier than it was in the old days.

I can't speak for any of the other databases.