Document Conversion and Python??

Derek Basch dbasch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 12:42:50 EDT 2002

Thanks for the replies Frank and Peter,
I should have been clearer in my previous post. I am
looking for tools written in python. I supppose I
could just call the external programs (COM for word,
excel, etc....) but a blanket conversion tool would be
much handier. I think I am going to end up using the
ReportLab toolking but having a method for converting
to formats beside PDF would be nice.
Thanks for the help,
Derek Basch

Derek Basch wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone have any suggestions for tools for
> converting documents between different formats
> (html,pdf,tab delimeted, etc...)?

Just to clarify, what's the link to Python here?

Are you looking for utilities written in Python (and
if so,
why? can you not just call external apps that aren't
in Python?)?

Or is it something else?

(I ask because your Subject says "and Python" but your
question
doesn't seem to touch on that part at all.)

-Peter

Derek Basch <dbasch at y...> wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for tools for
> converting documents between different formats
> (html,pdf,tab delimeted, etc...)?

It's not really a document conversion tool, but you
can get a PDF writer at
http://www.reportlab.com/toolkit/index.html
I need it myself for a Zope project, so I've tested it
today and it looks
good.