Could Python supplant Java?

goose spammenotguse at hobbiton.org
Thu Aug 22 06:54:44 EDT 2002

ET wrote:
> "goose" <spammenotguse at hobbiton.org> wrote in message
> news:3D640BCE.4090201 at hobbiton.org...
>
>>Dan Johnson wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>Serious question:
>>>
>>>What is so developer-hostile about Windows?
>>>

>>Serious Answer(tm):
>>1. No development tools come installed with it. Without
>>even a single compiler, how does a "developer" develop ?
>>The result is usually to download/purchase a development
>>tool.
>>

> Actually, there are developer tools that come with Windows.

name one that comes with windows.

> Your statement
> clearly indicates that you haven't a clue about what you are talking about.
> Of course, your comment implies that there aren't any free tools that you
> can get either - often times the same as what you find on those *nix boxes.

my comment does nothing of the sort ... read again and you'll find the
word "download"

>>2. No proper scripting environment to do nightly
>>build & test cycles (cron'd to run at midnight).
>

> Gee, guess the scheduler and such are all in my imagination.   Ever tried
> the AT command?  No, didn't think so.

there IS a scheduler, I never said that there wasn't, however
there is NO scripting (read the above again, the word is *script*)
facility

>>(IDE's are nice if you're gonna sit at your desk and click
>>on the buttons, but on a 20 person project, I want to be
>>able to get everyone to save their work to a server, and
>>have *everything* recompiled from scratch, so that if
>>anyone made a change that broke someone else component, we'd
>>find out the next morning, not six weeks later when we are
>>trying to integrate our code together). The lack of a system
>>provided make utility is depressing.
>>

> And the lack of your having even basic knowledge of Windows is pathetic
> given your attacks against it.

what attack ?

>>3. The inability to easily let everyone use *the* *same* *machine*
>>to compile, all at the same time (via an ssh shell, or an xterm
>>if the developer likes GUI IDE's). This way it is possible to make
>>sure that no developer is using a compiler which could possibly
>>be patched to a different version than the others (autoupdate?).
>>

> Gee, you don't know how to do this on Windows?   Again, you demonstrate your
> ignorance.   Of course, alternatively, you could be smart and have the dev
> environment installed to a shared location so that there is only the one
> version that has to be managed and you wouldn't have everyone constantly
> stepping on each other's development process.
>

>>4. The lack of a single decent editor ... 'nuff said.
>>

> Yes, the hundreds of editors that are available for Windows does add what
> would appear to be too much flexibility and capability for you to handle.
> Since you clearly don't know Windows, you clearly don't even know about the
> programming editors included either.

windows does NOT come with a decent editor

>>Basicly, after you jump the flaming hoops to install your OS,
>>it is frustrating to sit in front of it without being able to
>>write a single line of code because the OS assumes that the
>>person using it is not a developer. No other system that I've
>>installed has this "feature" ... the first thing I do after an
>>installation is run 'cc -v' ... and everthing from linux to
>>sco to solaris to iris allows me to start writing code.
>>

> The difference is that those other systems are practically useless for work
> without the constant need to compile your own stuff.

no

> On Windows, the apps
> to do what you want already exist in binary form and don't need to be
> re-compiled locally in order to run.

the issue is that there are no development tools

> But you knew that.  Of course, if all
> you want is a compiler, there are many available for free - even some from
> MS.

but windows does not come with any development tools

>>Windows lets me play solitaire :-(
>>

> Sure that's not too much for you to handle?

windows does not come with any development tools

>>>Are you sure it isn't really Microsoft you find.. hostile? :D
>>
>>no, I can stand solitaire for a few minutes while my
>>development tools load :-)
>>

> *few minutes*????  Guess you must be using one of those overpriced but slow
> *nix boxes if it takes that long.

windows does not come with *ANY* development tools

(are you sure you understood what point I was trying to make ? if you
did not, then let me try again
"windows does not come with any development tools, the tools are
available seperately"

there ... do you understand what I was trying to say ?

--
goose
ruse at webmail dot co dot za